In order to offer generic medications to people at lesser prices, the central government started the PM Jan Aushadhi Yojana. The Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana’s low-cost generic medications will continue to be offered in the nearby PMBJP pharmacies. On janaushadhi.gov, interested parties can submit an online application to start a new Jan Aushadhi Kendra.In this article, we’ll explain the goals, key elements, and all the specifics of the Pradhan Mantri Jan Aushadhi Yojana as well as how to apply online and register for a PMBJP Kendra to create a Jan Aushadhi Store.
Objectives of Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP)
With an objective of making quality generic medicines available at affordable prices to all, Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP) was launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers, Government of India in November, 2008. Under the scheme, dedicated outlets known as Janaushadhi Kendras are opened to provide generic medicines at affordable prices. As on 06.08.2021, 8012 Janaushadhi Kendras are functional across the country. Product basket of PMBJP comprises 1451 drugs and 240 surgical items. The Scheme is implemented by a society registered under the Societies Registration Act, viz., Pharma & Medical Bureau of India (PMBI) [erstwhile Bureau of Pharma PSUs of India(BPPI)]
- Ensure access to quality medicines for all sections of the population especially the poor and the deprived ones.
- Create awareness about generic medicines through education and publicity to counter the perception that quality is synonymous with high price only.
- Generate employment by engaging individual entrepreneurs in opening of PMBJP Kendra.
Salient Features of Pradhan Mantri Jan Aushadhi Yojana 2023
The Scheme is operated by government agencies as well as by private entrepreneurs:-
- The incentive provided to the Kendra owners has been enhanced from existing Rs. 2.50 lakh to up to Rs. 5.00 lakh to be given @ 15% of monthly purchases made, subject to a ceiling of Rs. 15,000/- per month.
- One-time incentive of Rs. 2.00 lakh is to be provided for furniture & fixtures and computer & printers to the PMBJP Kendras opened in North-Eastern States, Himalayan areas, Island territories and backward areas mentioned as aspirational district by NITI Aayog or opened by women entrepreneur, Divyang, SCs& STs.
- Prices of the Jan Aushadhi medicines are 50%-90% less than that of branded medicines prices in the open market.
- Medicines are procured only from World Health Organization – Good Manufacturing Practices (WHO-GMP) certified suppliers for ensuring the quality of the products.
- Each batch of drug is tested at laboratories accredited by ‘National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories’ (NABL) for ensuring best quality.
Impact of PM Jan Aushadhi Yojana
PM Jan Aushadhi Yojana has made available quality medicines at an affordable price to the common masses. The number of stores has grown to more than 8,000 and all districts have been covered. The scheme is also providing a good source of self-employment with sustainable and regular earnings. Average sales per store per month has grown to Rs. 1.50 lacs (including OTC & other products). As more steps are being taken to popularize the use of generic medicines in India by the government, sales are bound to increase.