In accordance with this scheme, the government of Odisha will provide benefits to about 20,000 sanitary workers and their families, providing services to a 1 lakh-person population. This plan will ensure the safety and respectful treatment of the sanitation workers. The Odisha Garima Scheme 2023 has been launched by the state’s administration, which is led by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik. A dedicated corpus fund would also be established, with an initial investment of Rs. 50 crore. In order to give workers and their families financial security and social security, this strategy would institutionalize and regulate the basic sanitation services. We shall discuss the concept and its many advantages in today’s article.
Odisha Garima Scheme 2023
“GARIMA” was launched on Friday by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik to safeguard the safety and respect of sanitation employees. This initiative would help 20,000 sanitation workers and their families, totaling 1 lakh individuals. A State Commission for Core Sanitation Workers will be established, and a corpus fund of Rs. 50 crore will be created. All states in Odisha would execute the plan. The state administration made a very thoughtful decision for the welfare of sanitary employees, and it is applauded around the country.
The plan is the first of its kind in India and provides service level benefits, social security, and financial advantages to core sanitation professionals and their families. It also institutionalizes and regulates core sanitation services. The plan uses a state-wide survey to identify and register key sanitary workers, requires sewage providers to register, and provides the necessary equipment and personal protective equipment (PPE) to ensure working safety.
The sanitation staff will also receive skill-development training as part of the strategy. Additionally, they will have access to financial aid if they choose a different professional path as well as counseling to learn new skills.
Among the benefits are special pay for essential sanitation work, risk and hardship allowances, financial assistance for families in the event of an accident or injury, housing grants, and the ability to buy two-wheelers for just 90% of the price. Key sanitation workers will also receive retirement benefits, post-service perks, and a sickness allowance for themselves and their families. To sum up, the plan offers a lot of additional features.
Odisha will offer housing, housing help, health and life insurance, disability assistance, regular health checks, educational assistance, mobility assistance, and mobile assistance.
Odisha Garima Scheme Objectives
The scheme is launched to provide services and benefits in the following paragraph:
Putting the fundamental sanitation services under institutional and regulatory oversight. Providing service level benefits to provide social security benefits to employees who are essential to the sanitation system, as well as their families. A heightened emphasis on the carrying out of legislative requirements in accordance with a variety of national and state laws. Finally, manual scavengers and their families are eligible for financial incentives.
Odisha Garima Scheme Benefits
The Odisha Garima Scheme seeks to identify critical sanitation workers through a state-wide survey. This is achieved by the mandatory registration of sanitation service providers, the registration of core sanitation staff, the provision of necessary equipment, and the provision of adequate personal protection equipment (PPE) to ensure safe working conditions. The Odisha government will offer a number of benefits to core sanitation workers who sign up for the Garima Scheme. The following are some of these benefits:
- Methods for Developing Teaching New Skills.
- Life and health coverage which is the most important for such workers.
- Counseling Facilitation.
- Specific wages for core sanitation work,
- Risk & Hardship allowance,
- Financial help to a family in case of injury. (A must have strategy which needs encouragement as families suffer most after accidents of such workers)
- House Grant, and 90% off two-wheelers.
- Examinations of one’s health status on a regular basis.
- Providing Assistance with Housing.
- Efforts made to aid in education.
- Aid for Motion.
- Advocacy for People with Disabilities.
- Basic Sanitation Work to Be Paid at a New Rate. Rates are improved and very helpful according to the authorities.
- Risk and Hardship Funding Institutionalization.
- Financial support for families in the case of an accident or illness.
- Assistance in the form of a Homeowner’s Grant.
- Two-wheeler purchases at a 90% discount.
- Obtaining EPF Benefits.
- Provisions made upon retirement which are new and improved one.
- Gains after Serving.
- Permissible Time Off for Illness or leaves.